A PC without a graphics card is like a car without a gearshift. The graphics card brings the image to the monitor. If you have a high-end device in your computer, you can also enjoy the best graphics effects in games. If there are errors in the display, you should update the graphics card drivers.
Depending on the operating system used and the graphics card manufacturer, the process for updating the graphics card drivers differs.
Update graphics card drivers with Windows
Normally, updates for the graphics card drivers are set up automatically with Windows Update. If Windows Update is not set up, proceed as follows:
- Via the Windows button and the button “All Programs” you get to the selection “Windows Update”. Here you can “Check for updates”.
- After a short setup time, optional updates are displayed that are available. After clicking on “Optional”, one starts searching for the drivers of the graphics card manufacturer.
- As a rule, you should look for drivers with the manufacturer names Intel, AMD, ATI or NVIDIA. If a new driver was found, it can be installed via the “OK” button.
- After clicking on “Install Updates”, the new graphics card driver is installed. The system must be restarted once afterwards.
Updating AMD, NVIDIA and Intel graphics card drivers
Alternatively, you can also install the graphics card drivers manually. You can find GPU drivers on our site.
- Once the drivers are downloaded, they can be installed with a double click. If a Windows warning message appears, you can acknowledge it with “Install this driver software anyway”.
- Select the desired installation method. As a rule, the “Express” setting is recommended. However, you should check in the individual menus whether unwanted, additional tools are also installed.
- Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the installation and restart the PC. After the setup, you may have to change the screen resolution and other graphics options.
- To do this, right-click on the desktop and select “Customize”. The recommended resolution for flat screens is usually “1280 x 1024 pixels”.